Let’s be honest: the best conversation happens around a pie. Especially a blueberry pie! Head over to our website to find the perfect pie for your feast (and many other sweet and savoury ways to add a boost of blue to your holiday plans)!
Servings: 8 Prep
Time: 1 hr 15
Cook Time: 1 hr 8
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed (1⁄4 inch thick cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup chilled all-vegetable shortening Filling
- 4 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup instant or quick-cooking tapioca-ground *
- 2 tablespoons finely minced crystallized ginger
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg white, whisked to foamy (divided use)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 scant teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 tablespoon raw turbinado cane sugar
- Combine lemon juice and ice water and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour and salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender until a coarse meal forms.
- Sprinkle half the water/ lemon mix over the flour mixture; toss with a fork.
- Add the remaining half and knead it until the dough begins to form.
- Divide the dough in half and flatten it into 1/2-inch-thick discs.
- Wrap each disc in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
In a large bowl, toss blueberries with lemon juice. In a separate medium-sized bowl, stir sugar, tapioca, ginger, cinnamon and all spices together until combined. Gently fold in blueberries until well-coated. Melt butter, stir in marmalade and fold it into the blueberry mixture. Let set.
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one chilled dough disc into a 13-inch circle.
- Fit dough on a 9-inch pie plate. Trim overhang to 3/4-inch of edge.
- Brush egg white on the bottom and sides of the dough. Reserve the remaining egg white.
- Set the lined plate in the freezer.
- Roll the second chilled disc on a lightly floured surface into a 13-inch circle, then cut into 1-inch-wide strips with a pastry wheel.
- Retrieve the pie plate and pour in the filling, mounding slightly toward the centre.
- Weave strips of dough over the filling to form a lattice top. Seal, trim and crimp the edges.
- Brush reserved egg white over the dough. Sprinkle evenly with sugar.
- Set the pie on a lined sheet and bake for 18 minutes at 425°F.
- Reduce heat to 375°F. Bake for 50 minutes or until the pie is bubbling.
- Cool on a wire rack. Top with vanilla ice cream.
Note: You can fine grind the tapioca in a coffee grinder.