Recipe: Back to school: Whole Wheat Date and Walnut Cake
Yes, we are officially back to school! The school is just a room away, the teacher, a click away and the assignments, a download away. Surely, the paradigms of education have changed and by mammoth measures. So what do you do when your little warriors in the midst of spending their afternoons doing assignments with the rain slamming on the windows, need something yummy and tasty to boost their energy and spirits? Beat the afternoon energy slump in children with this sugar free whole wheat date and walnut cake. Decadent and packed with the fibre from the dates and walnuts, this cake is sure to make your little ones smile their way to the homework finish line.
The sweetness from the dates takes away the guilt of eating this sweet cake and the whole wheat flour replaces the usual white flour to give it a healthy spin.The dates are rich in fibre and iron and walnuts well are known to be a brain superfood, so win-win!
- Azmah dates 2 cups
- Hot milk 1 cup +½ cup
- Walnuts 1/2 cup + 1tbsp
- Oil ¾ cup
- Yoghurt ¼ cup
- Whole wheat flour 2 cups
- Baking powder 1tsp
- Baking Soda ½ tsp
- Salt ¼ tsp
- Deseed the dates and soak them in the hot milk (1 cup) for 30 mins.
- Blend the dates and milk in a processor.
- Add oil and yoghurt and mix well until combined.
- Sieve the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt) into the wet ingredients.
- Slowly mix the ingredients together while adding ½ cup of milk gradually, till batter like consistency is reached and all ingredients well combined.
- Add ½ cup walnuts and 5 chopped dates to the mix, give one quick stir.
- Grease your baking dish and pour mix into it.
- Top the cake mix with one tbsp of chopped walnuts.
- Bake at 180 degrees in a preheated oven for 35 min.
- Cool completely and enjoy.
Note: This recipe was lovingly gifted to us by Varsha Arora.